Saturday, August 28, 2010

Scientists in Britain have shown that genetic variations in the Y chromosome affect a male’s risk of coronary heart disease

Researchers found that those carrying the I-haplogroup variant had a 55%higher risk of coronary heart disease. The association of the I-haplogroup with coronary heart disease was independent of, and not explained by, traditional heart risk factors such as cholesterol, high blood pressure and smoking. Commonly found in central, eastern and northern Europe, the I-haplogroup is carried by about 13% of British men. The I-haplogroup is thought to have come to Europe from the Middle East about 25,000 years ago. Since the I-haplogroup is not so prevalent in southern parts of Europe, an interesting speculation is whether it contributes to the higher levels of coronary heart disease in the north compared to the south – however, this requires further research and testing. What is clear from this study though, is that men carrying the I-haplogroup are more likely to suffer from coronary heart disease than men with other Y-haplogroups.

No comments: